**Below Article Is Reposted by made for mums & Was Not Written By The Mizzie Team**
By Helen Brown
Your 2 year old is full of energy and curiosity. They can solve simple problems through trial and error and often like to ‘practise’ an activity over and over until they have got it the hang of it (and it’s slightly driven you up the wall!). At 2, children also start to pretend more during play, using familiar objects and situations to copy the grown-ups in their lives.
So what kind of toys suit a 2-year-old child best? First things first, it’s got to be indestructible. Like, really indestructible. And fun, obviously. There’s no point a toy having amazing development-boosting potential if it’s simply not much fun to play with.
As well a pretend-play toys, and toys that offer opportunities to explore and repeat, ride-on toys get a big thumbs-up, as do anything that lights up or beeps when you press its buttons. Simple puzzles and construction toys can also come into the mix, now that your child’s hand-eye coordination is improving.
And of course, it doesn’t have to be plastic and noisy to light up a toddler’s eyes: there are lots of great wooden toys that are perfect for 2 year olds, too.
How to choose and use toys safely
Here’s what to look out for when choosing the right toys for your toddler:
- Look for the CE mark, which is the manufacturer’s claim that the toy meets regulatory requirements
- Look for the voluntary British Toy and Hobby Association’s Lion Mark (a red lion inside a yellow triangle)
- Buy from retailers that you know and trust
- Ensure the toy is appropriate for your child’s age. Small pieces (such as plastic eyes on teddy bears that appear ‘fastened on’ but aren’t properly secured) are choking hazards up to the age of 3
- Beware of any items that detach or have sharp edges
- Check toys regularly for things such as loose threads or escaped filling
Here is our pick of the best toys for 2 year olds, as tested by children and rated by parents
10. Musical Hop Out Mizzie Music Box, £25
– Great for learning cause and effect
Age suitability: 2+ | Best for age: 2+ | Batteries: None
What it is: A retro-style, battery-free jack-in-the-box toy. Wind the lever and, to the tune of Pop Goes the Weasel, out of the 13cm-high tin pops soft and furry Mizzie the kangaroo,.
Why we love it: This classic surprise toy was an absolute winner with our toddler tester Taran, 2, who loved the anticipation of watching Mizzie pop up from the box. “He kept saying ‘Again! Again!’ He thinks it’s hilarious and couldn’t stop laughing,” said Taran’s mum Samantha.
Read the complete article here! https://www.madeformums.com/reviews/10-of-the-best-toys-for-2-year-olds/